The Best Food to Support your Pup’s Joint Care
by Ian Germann
Maintaining good joint health in your dog is crucial for ensuring their long-term health and happiness. Joints are the connections between bones that allow for movement and flexibility, playing a critical role in allowing dogs to perform basic activities such as walking, running and jumping. Poor joint health can lead to pain, stiffness and reduced mobility, which can severely limit a dog’s ability to enjoy daily activities. Additionally, joint issues in dogs can cause weight gain, muscle atrophy and other secondary health problems that may impact their lifespan.
Outside of regular exercise, proper nutrition can help prevent and manage joint problems in dogs by providing the necessary building blocks for healthy joints, reducing inflammation and supporting a healthy weight. A diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals and high-quality meat can help maintain the strength and integrity of a dog’s joints, and adequate protein is especially important for supporting muscle mass, which helps support the joints and prevent excessive wear and tear. For those looking for foods that support their dog’s joints, there are a variety of options available such as…
1. Fish: A great source of omega-3 fatty acids, these healthy fats can help reduce inflammation. Especially healthy options include salmon, tuna and sardines.
2. Lean Meats: Lean meats such as chicken and turkey provide high-quality protein, which is important for maintaining muscle mass and not developing muscle atrophy.
3. Fruits and Vegetables: Many fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants which can help reduce inflammation and support overall health. Potential options include blueberries, broccoli, mangoes and sweet potatoes.
4. Bone broth: Bone broth is rich in glucosamine and chondroitin, both of which can help support joint health. Often made from beef or chicken bones, bone broth can be easily added to any dog’s meal.
5. Eggs: As well as being a great source of protein, eggs contain a plethora of vitamins and minerals that may help support your pup’s joint health.
For those looking for well-balanced meals that help support their pup’s joints, Evanger’s Hand Packed Whole Uncut Sardines are complete canned dinners, filled with omega-3 fatty acids to combat inflammation. Evanger’s Grain Free Chicken with Pumpkin & Sweet Potato and Grain Free Whitefish & Sweet Potato are also great kibble options that come with added glucosamine & chondroitin.
Nutritional Tips for Beagles
May 23, 2023
Human Foods Dogs Can & Can’t Eat
May 19, 2023
Nutritional Tips for German Shepherds
May 18, 2023