Earth Day for Pet Owners: What you Need to Know
by Ian Germann
As a pet owner, it’s important to recognize the role our furry friends play in the environment, and how we can take steps to ensure we’re doing our part to celebrate and protect the planet. This coming Earth Day is a perfect time to focus on our impact on the environment and what we can do to make a difference. But what is Earth Day?
Earth Day is an annual global event that is celebrated on April 22nd to raise awareness and inspire action for environmental protection. It was first observed in 1970, when millions of people across the United States protested against the deterioration of the environment and demanded a greater focus on environmental issues. Since then, Earth Day has grown into an international movement that aims to promote environmental awareness and encourage individuals, organizations, and governments to take action to protect the planet.
Here are a few things you need to know as a pet owner to help you celebrate Earth Day:
- Reduce Waste: Pet waste is a major contributor to the degradation of the environment. Not only does it contain harmful bacteria and parasites, but it also contributes to water pollution when it is not disposed of properly. Make sure to clean up after your pet and dispose of their waste in an environmentally friendly way. Consider using biodegradable poop bags or composting your pet’s waste.
- Buy Eco-Friendly Pet Products: When shopping for pet products, look for environmentally friendly options. This can include pet food made from sustainably sourced ingredients, biodegradable grooming products, and toys made from eco-friendly materials such as natural rubber or recycled plastic.
- Adopt a Sustainable Diet: The pet food industry has a significant impact on the environment, from the production and transportation of ingredients to the packaging and disposal of pet food bags. Consider adopting a sustainable diet for your pet, such as feeding them homemade food made from locally sourced ingredients or choosing brands that use sustainable packaging.
- Choose Natural Pest Control: Many conventional pest control products contain harmful chemicals that can harm pets and the environment. Instead, opt for natural pest control options such as diatomaceous earth or essential oils.
- Consider Adopting a Rescue Pet: Adopting a rescue pet is not only a compassionate choice, but it also reduces the demand for pet breeding, which has a significant impact on the environment.
- Plant a Garden: Planting a garden is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and create a natural habitat for wildlife. Consider planting pet-friendly plants such as catnip, parsley, or wheat grass.
By making a few small changes, pet owners can have a big impact on the environment. This Earth Day, take some time to reflect on the ways you can make a difference and celebrate the planet with your furry friend by your side. Together, we can make the world a better place for all creatures, great and small.
For those looking to reduce waste through buying eco-friendly pet products, try to stick to buying canned dog food. All of Evanger’s canned products come packed in 100% infinitely recyclable, BPA-FREE steel cans. Unlike other materials, steel cans can be easily and efficiently sorted from other recyclables using magnets, making the recycling process more efficient. Additionally, steel cans have a low carbon footprint compared to other packaging materials, making them a more environmentally-friendly option.
August 18, 2023
August 10, 2023
May 01, 2023